This year’s very active hurricane season is a good reminder to revisit the Backup Disaster Recovery Plan you have in place for your business and to consult with your IT Managed Services Provider or IT consultant to confirm that your business is safe from any threats. Of course, this also extends to other types of devastating threats, such as a cyber attack on your system.
Since hurricane season is here until November for the South and Northeast US, and other weather threats exist throughout the year, reviewing your BDR plan is essential.
Should disaster strike, here’s what should be in place:
- Do you have alternate work locations in place, or can your business function remotely?
- Do you store all-important data in the cloud? (See https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/275473)
The trend is that the volume of data loss at the enterprise level has increased exponentially in recent years. Unfortunately, small businesses are least prepared. Entrepreneur.com recently pointed out that even fewer than 100 files lost to a small business could cost that business between $18,000 and $35,000. Another alarming statistic is that more than 90% of companies that experience at least 7 days of data center downtime go out of business within a year.
What should you look for in a BDR?
- BDR should be tailored to your hardware and setup.
- It should offer a flexible pricing model.
- It should offer round the clock support.
- It’s reputation should be stellar.
Now is the perfect time to consult with your IT specialist on the best BDR for you business and its needs.
Here is a link to a previous blog post on your IT and natural disasters. Feel free to contact us with any questions. https://waytek.com/watching-storm-watching/