This holiday season is the most vulnerable time for cyber crimes to occur, especially when cyber shopping or shopping online. Here are some tips to ensure that you remain safe from cyber attacks.
- Many phishing emails will look like shopping deals but contain dangerous links that will drop malware to your computer or steal your personal information if you click on them. Remember to double check the URL or go to the website through your browser instead of using the link in the email.
- Before you enter your credit card information, make sure that you see the little lock icon and the word “Secure” next to the website URL.
- Don’t use the same password for all of your shopping sites. Create one for each site or use a password manager.
- Make sure your desktop, laptop or device has the latest security software and operating system updates.
- Try to give minimum personal information. You do not have to set up an account with an online retailer.
- Beware of searching through search sites for the best possible price. Many unknown sites are set up by cyber thieves to look like legitimate sites. Look for the lock icon.
Mashable.com was a good source of information for these tips. Follow our blog for other tips on cyber security. www.waytek.com