One of the most effective ways of protecting yourself when traveling is to take these simple and preventive steps before you leave:
- Update your laptop and smartphone operating systems and applications to the latest version to reduce the vulnerability of attacks.
- Make sure the firewall on your laptop is enabled. This helps prevent others from connecting to your laptop over the network.
- Check that your anti-virus software is up-to-date and in good working order.
- Laptops and smartphones are targets for thieves and easy to lose. Enable the automatic screenlock on
- your laptop and smartphone using a strong password or, at the very least, a PIN code.
- If your laptop or smartphone has personal or confidential information stored on it, consider encrypting the information or your entire hard drive before you leave. Check with your supervisor about your organization’s security policies. Encryption may be required.
- If you set an out-of-the-office message at work, identify a colleague as an alternate point of contact while you are gone. In addition, do not provide specific details about your trip. If possible, limit delivery of your out-of-the-office message to recipients within your organization or to people already in your address book.
Have a great summer, and stay safe!
Contact us with any questions on security.